Thursday, July 30, 2009

Let it Wane

"The sky is cryin'.
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?
I've been lookin' for my baby,
And I wonder where she can be." - Stevie Ray Vaughn



Yeah, I've got the blues.

Over the years, the thrill associated with being a mother can wax and wane. For the past few days, it's been a little waney around here. And I obviously have not waxed.

I've felt distant from my children, as though we're all just going through the motions. The Edge (of 17) comes and goes to work. Halfway Between (10 & 20) comes and goes to hang with his friends. For Black Jack (21), either things are going really smoothly or he's in jail, because he didn't return my call yesterday. Even 7th Heaven is otherwise occupied with all the Barbie stuff she rediscovered when she cleaned her room.

I always prided myself on those noisy family dinners where everyone tried to talk over each other. I secretly covet the tasteless jokes and random body noises while maintaining my scolding demeanor. Now, we're lucky to get three of us to the table - and with all the healthy food I'm serving, nobody has gas! It's sad.

I usually try and keep my blogs upbeat and jovial, but the truth is that it's not always like that around here. Sometimes, it can get downright lonely and a little boring. I throw on my Stevie CD and, well, does anyone have a tissue?

What I have found, though, is that the "downtime" is usually a precursor to some big to-do. There is another crisis lurking around the corner and I'll be called upon to duck into the proverbial phone booth and don my cape and tights. And then the good times (and even a few heads) are prone to roll!

Sigh.

I guess I'll go shave my legs. Tights look terrible with stubble sticking out.

Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. (((Hugs.))) I'm in an everything-sucks-and-I'm-sad-and-pissed-at-the-world phase myself right now, so I will keep you company.

    How does that old kid-ditty go? "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna eat some worms...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's almost as good as "Greasy, grimy gopher guts. . ."

    We all have those phases - as long as we recognize that is all it is, a "phase," then we're okay.

    I'm going out on a date with Hubbalicious tonight, we'll go get a cup of coffee. That ought to "perk" me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((((((Lara))))))))) I feel the same way sometimes. You, Onemuse and I should have a big ole' group hug and meet up for drinks so we can unwind, cry while we reminisce about our children growing older and then laugh while we dance. :-)

    Hang in there lady--like you said, there's probably a big "to-do" waiting to happen.

    Love Ya ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete