Monday, August 31, 2009

Stuck In the Middle

"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right -
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel



I think I've finally reached "middle age."

It has nothing to do with a number, either.

Black Jack (21), on the brink of being a father himself, is coming to me for advice about parenting and direction. Plus, I'm concerned about my own Mom and some issues she's dealing with. And, I'm worried about my grandparents, who are in the process of packing their home (and a shoe collection that would make Imelda Marcos envious!) of 20 years and moving halfway across the country. It's really weird!

It feels like just yesterday, I was a "young Mother" with "young Mother" issues - a messy home, a messy life - and I looked to others for suggestions and advice. I could just blame everything on my kids and be done with it. And people understood.

But now, they're coming at me from all sides and I'm stuck in the middle. It's quite scary to be the competent one!!!

I don't still feel like I'm a teenager or anything, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to fully embrace the responsibility that comes with being so dang grown up!

What's a girl to do when she's stuck in the middle? Why, turn up the radio and dance, of course!

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right - here I am!"

Have fun!

8 comments:

  1. I like that song.

    Embrace this moment. You're the one everyone needs.
    You could be blogging about soggy Depends.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't have quite the age spread as you do with your children (mine = oldest is 16, youngest is 5) I know exactly what you mean. I feel pulled in very different directions some days. And now, because of you, I can't get that darn song out of my head! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Jenelly. I'm counting my blessings! Jane, just dance along. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just got to laugh and go with it or go insane....lol

    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I like this post - toooo much reality for me (lol).

    You're right, instead of me looking for the older woman for counsel, I AM the older woman. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe...I'm an older mother now too and my house is STILL messy! Lololol

    Hugs ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that would be me. The messy house, the messy life although I don't consider myself a "young" mom. I followed your blog link from the Pensacola Moms like me site. We're about to move to the area in a month. I also have a blog where I write about anything and everything - www.mandylifeafter30.com - I look forward to reading more of your witty thoughts. You're very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandy, welcome to the 'hood!! I'll be sure to check out your blog, too. I think it's great that you're checking out the Momslikeme website, you'll already have friends when you get here!!

    Sandy, now that they're bigger, the messes are of a more "emotional" nature for us :)

    laVender, and so it goes. . .our older counselors did not start out old, either!! :)

    ReplyDelete