Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dying To Grow Up!

"Some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin', like tomorrow was a gift. . ." - Tim McGraw


"Do you have anything on nine year olds who ACT like they are teens? Sometimes I think I could lose my mind!" One of the Moms at the Momslikeme website asked me this question.

So today, I'm devoting this blog to you, oh Mindless One. The only thing you need to have on a nine year old who acts like a teen is duct tape. . .and maybe a couple of staples. That's all I'm saying!

Seriously, it seems sometimes like our "little ones" are in a mad rush to grow up. They can't see the value in cherishing the days, and instead often wish away the years. No matter how hard you try to hang on, they just keep pulling away!

I was in Wally World with 7th Heaven today going through our usual routine: Can-I-have-it-NO! She picked up a mini Etch-A-Sketch at the checkout and informed me she was dying to have it.

"Dying? Really?"

"Okay, not really 'dying.' But I TOTALLY want one of these!"

"Well, next time, you should bring your money. Then you can buy it for yourself," I suggested.

"Oh, no. I'm saving my money!" She said.

"That's a great idea. Save your money then you can buy something you REALLY want."

"Yeah, I'm gettin' a cell phone! That's what I'm REALLY dying to have!"

The cashier looked at me sympathetically and said, "They grow up quick!"

Too quickly, if you ask me. I feel like I am leaving finger-nail tracks in the very fabric of time when it comes to my kids.

I looked at 7th Heaven, with her knobby knees and her crooked, freckled grin and had a momentary flashback to her older sister, who is now Seventeen and driving (me crazy!) and dying to get out on her own.

"Baby, you're Seven, let's just enjoy that for a while. . ."

"Yeah, but I'm ALMOST Eight!"

The truth is, you're not going to win in the game of Mom v. Time. Unfortunately, it isn't until we become parents ourselves that we really begin to understand how quickly the time goes by. All you can do is to catch a little moment here and there and make the most of it. I think I'll go grab her Seven-ness and challenge her to a game of Go-Fish.

I'm simply "dying" to play. . .


Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Go-Fish is the bomb!

    I've been thinking about how fast mine have grown a lot lately. In a way, I think we adults don't appreciate all the times we could have spent "in the moment" either though, KWIM? Times we say, "We'll do this or that" with our children. Telling them to be quiet while we watch a movie, etc.

    I'm not condemning anyone, I've done the same thing...then I always find myself saying "I wish I would have when they were younger." SIGH, it's a cycle that continues into our own adulthood!

    Hugs ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete